header-photo

Power Outtage: Musings from Day #2

"The crucible is for silver, and the furnace is for gold, and the Lord tests hearts." Prov. 17:3 (ESV)


I despise tests. I went to college nine years to become a pharmacist. I've taken my share of tests. Tests reveal weaknesses. Last week was a test, and it showed me a weakness about myself - I'm too self-reliant. I hate having to rely on anyone else for anything besides myself - including God.


The time: Late Monday night last week at my home.

The situation: I was trying to install a set of gas logs in my fireplace.

The crucible: It was cold. It was dark. I was exhausted. I was stresssed. I was afraid of failure, because failure meant I could blow-up my house. I was petrified with fear. I realized I needed help, and I didn't want to admit it, nor seek it out.


Like I said, I despise tests. They remind me that my intelligence, abilities, and/or experiences have limitations. I'd rather rely on myself than others, including God. In that moment of arrogant frustration, a small little voice in my head said "I will help you if you ask for it." And I did.

Suddenly, I was at peace. The inner turmoil and doubts went away and I was able to better focus on the task at hand. God helped me in that moment. He was right there by my side until I had successfully completed the install. As a result, I learned a valuable lesson about humility and trust - and my house stayed relatively warm the rest of the week.


What is God using to test you lately? What weaknesses are being exposed?

0 comments: