header-photo

Where Were You?

September 11, 2001.  It's one of those days we will always remember when, how, and where we were at when we heard the terrible news.

Me?  I had worked the evening shift at the hospital September 10th, which meant I had gotten home around midnight.  Fortunately, I had the next day off and I was looking forward to getting some errands done.  I remember getting woke up by the phone ringing that morning, but I don't remember exactly what time.  I remember being a little upset that someone not only woke me up, but that they called so early in the morning.  That person was my wife, who was at work.  She asked me if I had been watching the TV and if I knew about what was happening in New York City.  I quickly turned on the TV just in time to see the second airliner fly right into the second tower.  I immediately went numb.  The rest of the day was spent on the couch, in my boxers watching, crying, praying, seething, and hurting for all of the lives affected by such a cruel act of terror.

Seven years has gone by so quickly.  So, where were you?  What's your story? 

1 comments:

Lauren said...

I was at work. I worked at a day-care then. We were listening on the radio taking turns to go upstairs and watch it on a tv up there. I remember being terrified Brian would be deployed. We talked on the phone quite a bit that morning. It was our one-month wedding anniversary. He showed up at the daycare to say he was going to back his bags just in case. We knew a call would come just not when. It didn't come until 1 1/2 years later. I babysat for my favorite little girl that night. She seeing the news run the same clip but didn't understand it was the same. She was crying, "Why do the planes keep doing that?" She was only 3.