header-photo

Random Questions

I had breakfast this morning with a friend, and we were discussing this one:
Which would you prefer: a DVD-based small group Bible study featuring a teacher you didn't personally know,
or a small group Bible study taught "live" by someone you did know?

Let me just say I love my church. I'm 100% on-board with most of what they're trying to do for the Kingdom. One thing I don't love so much is DVD-based small group Bible study material. Here's my reasons why:
  • It's a lazy way to lead a small group Bible study. What I mean is it doesn't challenge a leader to properly prepare for leading the Bible discussion. All they have to do is plug in a DVD and it does it all for them.
  • A key element of small groups is relationships. It's difficult to relate to a teacher on a DVD, especially if you don't know them.
  • Not all DVD players are the same. Not all TV's are the same either. I personally get frustrated if there are glitches in a DVD video.
  • What if the leader put all their faith in the DVD, didn't prepare for the meeting whatsoever, plugged in the DVD, and it wouldn't work? Serious waste of people's time. See point #1.
  • It assumes people would rather engage with a TV than a live person in a small group setting. Seriously? When was the last time you struck up a deep conversation with your TV set?

What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Les (Endlessly Restless) said...

Hi Tentmaker

I just posted a comment, pressed publish and it disappeared. So I’ll try again.

Generally I prefer the interaction and relationship aspect of ‘live’ Bible study. It reinforces the feeling of learning together and from each other – with each of us coming from a different point in our own journeys. I also enjoy the freedom to ad lib/ ‘go off piste’, which is more difficult with a DVD based study.

Having said that we have successfully used DVD’s in the past. They help when things might be getting a wee bit stale. They were also quite a good way to introduce new Christians to the concept of Bible study.

Overall, though, live is best for me.

Lauren said...

I agree 100% with you Kyle!