header-photo

You Are What You Read

This week I'd like to share with all of you some books I've read that have helped shape me as a man, a husband, a friend, a Christian and a tentmaker. I hope, if anything, you'll be inspired to read some or all of these books (if you haven't already) and they will inspire you like they have me.

Book #1: Disciples Are Made Not Born by Walter Henrichsen

This is a must read for any believer who is serious about investing in eternity. In fact, it is a primer of the basics of discipleship. Here's some of the key points I've learned from this amazing book:
  • Jesus had a world vision. He expected His disciples to have a world vision too. Christians, if they call themselves as such, must have a world vision. Anything less is un-Christ like.
  • Your personal ministry should be productive. Therefore, choose wisely those whom you wish to mentor. They should be able to bear fruit.
  • A disciple must count the cost of following Christ. He demands everything. However, the rewards are unmeasurable!
  • Every disciple must have a clear understanding of: 1) Who God is; and, 2) who, as a person, he/she is.
  • Evangelism is an everyday part of a disciple's life.
  • Jesus is calling for disciples today, just as He did 2000 years ago. However, He has no use for
    "Sunday Christians."
  • A disciple becomes what you are, not what you say. It's critical you focus on being the kind of person you want your disciple to become. "People learn to follow the Lord by following the Lord's people." (pg. 89)

There are many, many more truths I've learned from this book. I could spend a whole week on this book alone. If you haven't read this, I'd encourage you to do so.

Are there any books you've read on discipleship that have inspired you? What's the hardest part of being a disciple in your mind?

1 comments:

Won said...

Hi Kyle
Thought I would drop you a line, as Won tentmaker 2 another! ;-)
Need some traffic too? Check out
http://wonpreachersthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/12/tentmaker.html
Trackback too!

Be Blessed at what HE has you doing, Won, as I am about my FATHER's Business! Making A Difference And Helping Other People Reach Their Goals!
alerts@wonpreacher.com